Old August 11th 03, 09:07 PM
bewtifulfreak

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
In , "bewtifulfreak"
wrote:

| This sounds at *least* as bad as having the toe taken completely off!

Well, for a cat, that's basically what it is.

Of course. What I meant is that having the claw removed only at the base
and then having it grow back all skewed and deformed sounds just as, if not
more, painful than having the whole toe removed. But no matter how it's
done, besides the surgical pain, it can clearly cause a lot of discomfort in
making the cat walk in ways it's muscles weren't made to. The example's
been used before, but if we had to walk without our toes, not only would we
be off balance, but it would put undue pressure on the front of the foot.

See
this before-after video of a lion whose suffering was alleviated by
reconstructive surgery:

I'm not able to access it at the moment for some reason, but will try again
later.

Thank you again for explaining things in such detail.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak