Old March 29th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Default declaw or not to declaw?

Annie kirjoitti:
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

annie

You're probably just a troll, but just in case you're ignorant about it,
here goes... Have you ever thought what is actually done when a cat is
declawed?? It has its toes amputated at the first joint of the toe.
Imagine having your own fingers cut off at the joint right after the nail.

Here's some extensive information on declawing and why not to do it:
http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html

Before getting a cat, you should have gathered information about its
natural behaviour and how to deal with it humanely - such as providing
it with legitimate scratching surfaces, scratching poles and the like.
Or maybe you belong to those people who get pets and treat them as toys
and not like living beings. When you get bored with it or it "gets
broken" you throw it away...

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com