Old March 29th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default declaw or not to declaw?

"Annie" wrote in message
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

annie

The welfare of animals is very seldom contrary to the welfare of people.
When you start to think it is, you really need to reassess the situation.

You never NEED to declaw a cat. It is mutilation, pure and simple. (And I
think the PETA crowd are a bunch of nuts)

It being wrong and bad and expensive aside, it usually doesn't have the
desired effect. You are likely to go from a cat with a very normal need to
claw at something to a frustrated and damaged cat who will do just about
anything else to express itself. Inappropriate peeing, biting, etc can just
about be expected. After all, now its hard to dig and cover in a litter
box, and now the teeth are the only defense left.

Many, many cats who have been declawed as a 'last resort' are then disposed
of as a further measure because they become really unmanageable.

If you can't provide a better place to scratch than the furniture or keep
the cat away from the furniture, it would probably be better to find Mitzi a
new home with someone who actually loves cats. Claws and all.

Jo