Old October 23rd 03, 10:02 PM
Lynn

Default Unexplained weight loss in 8.5 yr old male cat

I've noticed lately that my 8.5 yr old male cat has lost weight so I
decided to have him checked out. Upon weighing him at the vets office,
it was discovered that he had lost 3 lbs. since his last exam in late
June of this year. He was 11 lbs. in June; he is now 8 lbs. I should
also say that during the past few days prior to bringing him in I had
noticed that he had a slight decrease in appetite and drinking. My
veternarian did a complete blood and urine workup on my cat and found
nothing. She also did an x-ray of his body and said that although
everything appears to be okay, she is concerned that she does not see
a clear outline of his organs and has instructed me to take him for an
abdominal ultrasound. Can anyone shed some light on what might be
going on? Also, in his initial exam, he had no fever and his gums were
pink. He was slightly dehydrated but the vet's office gave him some
fluids and he did manage to eat some food for them. I'd appreciate any
insight.