Old August 30th 03, 08:46 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:29:09 -0400, "Bobcat"
wrote:

Of all the cats who've ever owned us, Martha our er, full-figured tortie is
the most afraid of thunder storms. She senses them long before they arrive,
and dives for her basement "bomb shelter" - a dark, quiet nook under my
workbench where I've left a chair cushion for her. She's more accurate than
the official weather forecasts, which makes me think that Environment Canada
should hire Martha part time. They could a detail to their local forecasts,
e.g.: : "The cat scan reading for the Toronto area indicates mid-afternoon
thunder storms..."

I don't remember who it was, but someone here once suggtested that it
may be that they can feel the change in pressure that comes with the
storm. Whatever it is, I also have a couple weather cats - more
accurate than the local TV channel. I used to let Little Bit out when
I went to work. She won't go out if it's going to rain, or get too
hot. And Sammy, who is scared of thundeerstorms, also hides well
before the storm arrives.

Of course I now have Rocky, and he's a total loss as far as weather
warnings go. Rocky lived as a feral, and weather doesn't bother him in
the least. As far as Little Bit and Sam are concerned, he just doesn't
act as a proper cat should. If it's hot and there's a mud puddle,
he'll lay in the mud - nevermind that he's mostly white and will this
be a muddy brown for several days. He'll sit in the middle of the lawn
and give himself a bath during a light rain, a kind of kitty shower.
Last night I let him inside for a little while, like I do most nights.
When he was ready to go, the fact that a storm had blown in didn't
faze him, he just wandered over to his favorite spot on the patio and
laid down, half in and half out of the rain.