Old April 4th 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sophia[_3_]

Default OT - I'm SO Discouraged

Please, please, please CN involve a medical professional. I have been
where you are now, I have lost 5 ft (thankfully humans have 29 ft) of
small and large bowel. I could eat nothing without getting sick - to
be delicate - both uh, ends. I had a feeding tube for awhile to gain
weight. To counteract the disfunction of the bile acids I was on a
med called Cholestran and later Questran. They are both primarily
cholesterol drugs, but they also work for the condition. They may use
something else now. My GI prescribed them. The general surgeon who
did my surgeries was worthless when it came to what you describe.

Even today I must eat ONLY very low or no fiber foods AND very low
carbs. Also no red meat protein. Very limited specific kinds of
fats. No nuts, nothing with seeds - like strawberries. Fiber and
carbs in cases like yours and mine can result in an impaction and or
partial obstructions. Without my nutrionist I would be in big
trouble. Also, if not already doing so, a stool softener not a
laxative can keep constipation at it's dangers away. Immodium
regularly treats the other.

Do not try this on your own. All my research never came up with what
my nutrionist did and she worked in full harmony with my GI and PCP
doc.

My GI knew what the prob was right away when he read the post op
report.

Do not let your PCP or anyone else blow you off.

Many, many purrs.

Sophia

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 22:29:20 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

Granted, I was carrying a lot of fluid (my feet and hands were twice their
normal size), but at the surgeon's office I weighed in at 104. The day I
was discharged from the hospital I weighed myself on my digital scale and it
showed 104.0.

Well, I just weighed myself again and I weighed 97.6! That's 6.4 pounds I
lost in two days!!! The surgeon won't do the surgery to reverse the
ileostomy until I gain at least 20 - 25 pounds, and I can't do that going
backwards.

Eating and drinking sugary/high fat foods didn't help - they just gave me
diarrhea and made the situation worse.

Back on-topic... does anyone have any suggestions / recipes for high caloric
/ high protein meals and snacks?