Old October 27th 05, 03:49 PM
Rhino

Default Q for PhilP cat shelves

"Juls" wrote in message
In article , "Rhino"
wrote:

"Claimed?" You sound doubtful. I've never been to Lowe's - we only have

one
around here and it's on the opposite side of the city - but if they are
anything like their major competition, Home Depot, they will definitely

have
a huge wall-mounted saw for cutting large sheets of plywood or other

sheet
materials down to smaller pieces. If you're trying to carry the cut

pieces
inside the car - as opposed to on a roof rack or in a minivan - be sure

you
figure out how large the pieces can be and still fit into the car. For
example, if your pieces are going to be 4 ft X 4 ft, make sure that you

can
get a piece that size into your car door or trunk.

The reason I seemed a bit skeptical is because I know the policy at
Home Depot is first three cuts for free, after that it's 25 cents a
cut, and once I asked them about the cuts, and the guy went off a bit
about the cuts might not be exactly to measure. I never knew if that
meant it might be a quarter inch off or two feet off.

They should probably tell you the tolerance they are talking about when they
warn you that the cuts might not be exactly where you want them. I *assume*
that they would be within a quarter inch or perhaps the saw blade width
(which is usually less than a quarter inch) but I could be wrong. I don't
think you have to worry about the cuts being off by much more than that
unless the operator makes a big mistake or mishears what you say about where
you want the cuts or misreads your plan due to your handwriting.

(the only time
I've ever had a rude Home Depot person...usually they're VERY great!) I
had called Lowes the other day about it, and he said they'd cut it to
whatever I wanted and was friendly about it. But I'm thinking like
maybe 20 cuts. LOL. (However, I'd pay for them...would be cheaper than
a new saw blade...I've read that MDF dulls your blade quickly)

I think that's right: I believe it is the high density of MDF that dulls
cutting surfaces. I haven't done very much with MDF myself but have heard
some things from woodworking buddies.

They do have a big wall saw like you said. I had them cut some 4 by 4's
for me last summer and they just zipped through them.

I need to clean out my car and make room for this stuff. LOL. I think
Jack and Jazz sense the excitement in the air.

I generally like Home Depot better than Lowes, but I've got a ten
percent off coupon for Lowes. (I have a large list of things to buy)

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at