Old March 26th 04, 01:22 AM
Wendy

have you checked http://www.petfinder.org/ ? Click on find shelters, enter
your zip code and they will list organizations in your area.

Check with some of them. You'll probably find someone to help with a trap,
neuter and release.

"Robyn" wrote in message

Sharon Talbert wrote:
Robyn, there may be a rescue org in your area (and it would be
helpful if you revealed to the group where you are), but chances are
good that you are going to have to take care of this little colony
yourself. And you need to move fast!

You need a livetrap or two (buy them; they are not all that
expensive, and it is going to take a few weeks to get the colony in
hand). Find a low-cost spay/neuter service (talk to your vet first;
maybe you can work out a discount) and get to work. Start with last
year's kittens; they are pregnant now and the sooner spayed the
better for all. If you can locate the old cat's litter, bring them
in and trap the mom. She can raise her babies in a cage or secure
room until they are 4 weeks or so (when they can be started on solid
food) and then be spayed and released.

Let us know where you are. There just may be a spay/neuter clinic in
your area. Seattle, for example, has a free feral cat clinic for all
comers.

Thank you for being so kind and responsible. I wish everyone were
like you.

Email me privately if you would like to discuss any of this. I am
always happy to advise.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Sharon thanks for your reply. As I stated in my post, I just don't
have the cash to do this myself, or I would. That's why I was venting. I
need help and can't find any. A trap is $50-$75. Spay/neuter is $25-$35
times 4 cats. (5 when you count the one I took in the house.) I also
don't have a clue how to go about this, or a lot of free time, truth be
told. I'm online a lot because I make my living on the computer and can
post in between other things.

As for the kittens, I can't get to them, chances are they're in
someone's yard, and everyone around here has fences. There's nothing I
can do until she brings them out, and even then, I don't have a place
for them. I made room for one of the ferals that was smaller and weaker
than the rest (cross-eyed little thing, just adorable), but that brings
me up to four, and my house is small... I also have a 19 year old cat
that is only now getting over the stress of our adding a new cat last
year. (What a nightmare that was.) She's OK with little Froggy so far,
but I don't want to push it by adding more.

I agree that the pregnant females are the first priority. Like I
said, I may try to trap one in my cat carrier, (not real hopeful) but I
don't know what to do after that. I spent most of this morning on the
phone, and everyone says it's someone else's problem, or that no help is
available. (without lots of $$$$) I was under the impression that there
were places that would lend traps and help with the trapping, as well as
assisting with the spay/neuter arrangements. It looks like I was wrong,
but I'm going to try a little more. Tomorrow I'll start on the phone
again. Thanks for the kind words.:-)

Robyn

P.S. I'm in Hollywood, Florida, BTW. That's just south of Ft.
Lauderdale.
--
To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch