Old March 11th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Default Euthanasia: when is the right time?

I would not take advice from your friends on this.

I second this. People have different views on this. You have to follow
your vet's advice and your heart. Don't listen to what others think.

Personally, I believe I'm in the best position to judge whether or
not she's suffering. She's certainly not in any pain, is still
affectionate --she's still herself in many respects.

I think this is something to discuss with your vet. You may not be
aware if your pet is suffering in a non-obvious way. Your vet will be
involved n the actual euthanasia, when the time comes, so it makes
sense to prepare in advance with her.

Cats can be very stoic animals and don't always show pain until it's
severe. Certainly talk to your vet about your concerns.

I'm curious how other, more experienced pet owners out there have
wrestled with this. Some people have told me I'll "just know" when
the right time will be.

Well, maybe you'll just know, but maybe you want to be forearmed with
some medical knowledge so you know what to look for.

Having some medical knowledge AND being in tune with your cat can help
you here. I feel for you. It's not easy making "that" decision. You
sound like a caring, rational owner. I'm sure you will do the right
thing.