Old June 6th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat spay wound infection puss drainage, 10th day, done by 3rd world vet in Peru, help!

Update, found a real vet who works home-visit style because the clinics
are simply aweful places where they harm amimals in order to extort
money. Found the subcutaneo layer was sewn with fishingline (by that
butcher pretending to be a vet, which explains the infection). Tomorrow
this new doctor is coming to my house in the morning to see if the
(real) antibiotic is working and will have to re-suture everything, no
cost spared. Based on my limited knowledge, it seems the antibiotic
(injections given during 3 days) has to work to clear the infection as
to allow tissues to be sutured with special surgical supplies,
dissolvable stitches. If anyone has any ideas or advice, please send
comments.
angela l wrote:
We took Precious kittie, est. age 8, 9 months to be spayed at a small
vet clinic in Lima, Peru; after the surgery, wound seemed longer than
needed to be able to enter abdomen and remove the uterus and ovaries,
which we were shown after the butcher-like procedure. We were given no
post-op instructions, just that the cat wouldnīt be paralyzed, not to
worry about her walking half-paralyzed, dragging hind legs when
anethesia (ketamine) wore off on 2nd day. I had no idea she should have
been kept inside a box or cage, as to not move. An injection was given,
said it was an antibiotic. Precious kittie, didnīt complain much, she
mostly slept during the first 6 days. She was allowed to move about and
used her litter box normally. She seems like a fighter! We were
supposed to come back to have external stitches removed on the 7th day,
but on the 6th day, Precious kittie ended up with a 15cm incision up
from the wound toward her chest after cutting open and cleaning an
infection: a puss bubble. The original spay incision was 7cm long
(which was re-opened to clean the infection) and appeared sewn poorly.
We brought her back again the next day (the 8th day), following the
removal of the puss bubble, she was given another antibiotic im
injection, her wound was washed with soapy water, and then she seemed
fine. We were sold a small tube of Nutri-cal for $38 (seems expensive;
the whole procedure seems wrong, but what can I do here, in the 3rd
world, things are not honest, their licenses arenīt real, nobody
cares, not the police, they are kidnappers..anyway...) and we were told
not to feed cat food, which I donīt agree. Kittie has been eating
light and drinking water, however she hasnīt defecated today, only
urinated. The wound seems to have puss drainage, no blood. We are
cleaning it 2x daily. Kittie sleeps and moews happily, she responds to
food and we use Nurti-cal to get her to swallow antibiotic pills. We
were given a single tab of Floxocil, divided up in 7 tiny pieces to
give one daily with the Nutri-cal, is this enough? Kittie is wearing a
surgical collar with plastic mask, so she won't lick wound, which
costed us $20! The spay was $45, not that it matters, but I donīt
think it was a real schooled vet. I feel so terrible watching Precious
suffer in a box. I need help, any professional, authentic,
knowledgeable advice?