Old March 29th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
meOwy

Default 10-mo-old kitten always hungry...any tips?

On Mar 29, 9:53*am, "Dave" wrote:
I can tell just by looking at him that he's overweight. *He's not obese, but
he's shaped a little more like a football than he ought to be. *If I let him
eat as much as he wants, he'll look like a basketball soon.

It's not that I haven't had one this young. *I just never adopted one at 12
wks before; earliest was about 6 mos.

Stormmee wrote:
he might just be in a growth spurt... if it were me i would let him
eat as much as he wanted until the next scheduled vet visit then ask
if his weight is ok, if it is then he is eating properly for him,
since you say you haven't had one this young this might be kitten
growing eating, you might also try getting him some kmr to see if
that helps, and at that age kitten food is a must for the calories,
soft "Dave" wrote in message
Granby wrote:
Has the kitty been checked for worms? *If a kitten is ever hungry, I
am not sure they get over it. *We have several on here who go into
fits if they see the bottom of their food dish.

As I said, he's perfectly healthy. *He was wormed on his first vet
visit, and hasn't been outside since. *(And his stool is worm-free.)

All the other cats I've had over the years have been strays, and
none of them has had the same voracious appetite. *And they were all
much older when I adopted them; that is, access to plentiful food
came later for them.

"Dave" wrote in message
I adopted him at 12 weeks, so he's had plenty of food available
since then. I would have thought that by now he'd have adjusted to
the fact that he's not going to go hungry. *But he always wants to
eat, and when I put food down he's very eager for it, as though he
hasn't eaten in days. *He's perfectly healthy--no parasites or
anything like that. *I'd be happy to feed him as much as he wants,
but he's getting fat. I give him good food. *For canned he was
eating Fancy Feast, which
is a recommended by my vet as well as vets that friends of mine
use. For dry, it's Natural Balance (Dick Van Patten's brand). *A
few weeks ago I tried switching to dry only, hoping that, since it's
easier to scarf down the canned food, the extra time it might take
him to eat the kibble might allow him to feel full, but it doesn't
seem to have helped. I'm trying to gradually reduce his daily
intake--or even hold it
steady--but he is just always hungry. *Any tips? *Thx

-Dave- Hide quoted text -

He is purrbly a boy, hoo eetz a wot becuz da boys gitz sew big. Dat
wat I gnotissed mine broffur doin. Eetin a wot an gittin furry big.
An den I cud gnot deefeet him ennymor. Hmmmf.
Meowy, a dayntee grrl