Old September 23rd 03, 03:58 PM
PawsForThought

From: (Elijah)

Have a supremely annoying and occasionally affectionate 9-month old
kitten and an older and loving tuxedo cat. Was just given a
magnificent persian rug but it'd be a shame if the kitten tore it to
shreds and there's no way I'll declaw them. Is there any kind of
effective deterrant? I was thinking of waiting a few months until the
kitten isn't so destructive anymore, but that isnt 100% effective,
cause she'll still probably occasionally scratch it like when she's
bored, stretching or deliberately misbehaving. Any advice?

I would highly recommend a good tall sturdy scratching post, one of those
cardboard scratching pads, and a cat tree. I have these for my cats and they
do not scratch my rugs. The key is to give the cat something more enticing
than your rug to scratch on. Glad to hear you won't consider declawing!

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe