Old September 4th 03, 07:03 PM
Bill

"Chris Jung" wrote in message

I was approved and later today I will be picking up three 5 week old
kittens. They will stay until they are 8 weeks and 2 lbs. I have a dog

crate
set up in my studio (a bedroom) with sleeping area, food and litter box.

Hi,
Now a follow up: I now have the 3 five week old kittens. They are Black
(male), Tortie (female) and Tiger (female). I'm sticking with simple

names
but my five year old son, Soren, gives them new names every day.

Everything has been going well. They have good appetites and are pooping
fine.
My collies are proving to be good auntie and uncle to the kittens. We've
done some socialization. Last night for example, they spent an hour in

our
laps while we watched a video. They are not happy when my husband

practices
his euphonium - I think low tones are scary to them. I suspect by the

time
they leave, they'll be cool about all sorts of sounds.

The first day I noticed that Black and Tortie would occasionally sneeze
but otherwise they were hell on paws. Tiger has always been mellow and
would rather snuggle with us than play with her siblings.

This morning, I noticed that Black has a snotty nose and the inside

corners
of his eyes look gummy. He's much quieter. Neither Tortie or Tiger look
sick (clear noses and eyes). Tortie is still a wild little stinker.

Tiger
sleeps a lot and I'm keeping a watch on her. I noticed that Black had
crawled under my reading light to take a nap. I have a cozy box set up in
their crate but I guess it's just not warm enough for him. So I set up a
heating pad (set on low) with a thick towel over it in a box. Both Black
and Tiger are in it now and seem very content.

I called the SPCA foster coordinator for advice and they are prescribing
oral antibiotics which I'll pick up in two hours.

Any additional advice to caring for little kittens with upper respiratory
infections?

Chris, her two smooth collies and the kitten trio:
Zeffie, Pablo, Black, Tortie & Tiger

Upper respiratory infections and eye infections are rather common in kittens
that have been in a shelter. The infectious agent is passed rather easily
in crowded situations.

Oral antibiotics and antibacterial eye ointments are common treatments.

It would be best if you can separate the sick kittens from the healthy ones.

Watch out for any unusual symptoms, such as noisy or labored breathing.
Feline herpes can look like a common upper respiratory infection, but it can
be fatal.

Good luck with your charges.

Bill