Old May 7th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
cshenk

Default Newbie questions: What kind of pet carrier?

"Wendy" wrote
"-mhd" wrote in message

Although a soft one will work fine to hold a cat, you may find the cat
gets
'scared' and pees in the carrier. If you have a soft type, you will have
issue getting it clean again. A hard carrier will not have this problem.

Easiest hard carriers have an entry gate at the 'front' and at the top
both. Also, put a towel at the bottom so if they do 'pee' because they
are scared, you wont be bringing a wet kitty to the vet and trying to dry
the worst off
as she/he gets examined.

I prefer soft ones as they much easier to carry and are probably much
more comfortable for the cat. As far as accidents go I would much
rather throw the bag in the washer than try to wash a car seat that
the hard carrier drained onto. A towel fits just fine in the soft bags
as well.

True but most of the ones I saw, were too small for my cat or had enough
soft 'filler' as to be difficult to deal with in a washing machine. I've
had 2 cats who were 'pee-ers' and the deep bottom of the plastic ones have
worked well.
-mhd

I would imagine the size and weight of the cat might determine which type
serves better. I haven't seen too many x-large soft carriers and would
worry about the handle pulling off if I was lugging around a large cat. I
lug a lot of cats around though and most people only need to use their
carrier on the occasions kitty visits the vet.

That too. And thanks for quoting mhd- due to spam, I tend to filter on
@gmail here. mhd is just an innocent casualty of this.

I have had some cats who preferred not to have much of a view and many of
the soft sided ones have screening on the sides that would provide too
much view to a skittish cat. I'm not overly impressed with the zipper
closures either. If one has a cat who really doesn't want to be in the
carrier,

The ones I saw didnt look all that strong. I was worried if I did have to
try and wash it, it wouldnt survive.

having to zip close provides too much time for the kitty to engineer an
escape. I do like something with a top door though in case you need to get
a sick kitty in and out of the carrier. Years ago I had to take a carrier
apart to get a sick boy out of it and have gone for carriers with a top
door since. You do have to double check to make sure the top door stays
latched though as some have a tendency to work their way open. Bottom line
is that I would imagine you get whatever type best suits your cat.

All good! If 'Newbie' has a storage problem, she may find the collapsable
soft carrier that can be stored is best of all for her needs.