Old May 26th 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Default Giardia in nursing cat

On May 24, 10:02 am, "Susan \(CobbersMom\)"
wrote:
Picked up a foster cat a couple days ago with 5 day old kittens. The snap
test showed positive for giardia. I've dealt with this before in orphaned
kittens I've raised but not in a nursing mom. The vet put up Metronidazole
suspension, once daily for eight days. The protocal in the past has been to
treat for 30, 60 or even 90 days depending on how resistant the giardia is.
My first concern is that he didn't prescribe this nearly long enough.
Second is that Metronidazole is contraindicated in nursing moms. Saunders
vet manual and good internet sites all recommend not treating the mom until
the kittens are done nursing. Not looking for an answer here, just voicing
concerns but would like to hear your opinions if you have experience in
this. I used to be a vet tech and worked for this guy, whom I don't quite
trust. Will be contacting him next week to discuss the concerns. I
received the foster cat thru someone else at the vets office who decided she
didn't want the giardia in her house (young kids and all) so I haven't had
direct contact with the vet yet. Thanks,
Sue

Unless the cat is really sick from the Giardia, I'd wait to treat her
until the kittens are weaned. They will have to be treated as well,
which can't happen until they are 12 weeks, IIRC.

Good luck.