Old May 5th 05, 07:23 PM
Philip

kaeli wrote:
In article ,
enlightened us with...
My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to declaw
them, but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is there an
easier way to keep them from clawing without training them?

You want easy with no training? Remove the items from your home.

Now, since we know that isn't going to happen...
All changes in behavior are a result of training. Softclaws are meant
to be used as a training aid, not as a replacement for training. Like
those head halter collar things for dogs. They don't teach in and of
themselves. They simply give you a means to an end. You still have to
show the animal the proper behavior and PRAISE IT.

Stop thinking of training as some huge, horrible, lengthy process
that you aren't capable of. It is small things, throughout the day,
on a daily basis. Consistency is the key.

Clip their nails (or pay the whole $5 for a groomer to do it) to
reduce damage.
Start correcting their behavior. Give them acceptable things to claw
and praise the hell out of them for using them. Redirect
inappropriate scratching to appropriate things and make inappropriate
things less attractive (scent them with citrus or move them or put
tape on them or whatever). When you see them using the right thing,
PRAISE THEM. Give a treat, a pet, playtime, whatever. Something
positive to them. When you catch them doing the wrong thing,
interrupt the behavior (clap, NO, penny-can, etc), then call, coax,
or bring them to the right place, and PRAISE THEM.
It isn't rocket science, I promise.

Remember -- inappropriate or "wrong" are simply human definitions.
The cat doesn't attach a monetary value to your couch.

You don't expect a dog not to chew the "wrong" things or a child not
to draw on the "wrong" things simply by osmosis. Don't expect a cat
to just not claw the "wrong" things, either. Teach it.

SUPERB post!

"Cats are not plants. They don't grow out of bad behaviors, they grow into
them!"