Old April 29th 16, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default another story supporting microchiping

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 07:38:48 -0500, MaryL
wrote:
My cats also have not been scanned, but my vet knows exactly how I
received each of them. I don't think it is routine to scan every cat;
they are scanned when a stray is brought in or when there is some
question of ownership. Microchipping has saved many cats and dogs in
those circumstances. The benefits of microchipping was questionable
years ago because there were several different companies that
manufactured the chips, and they were not compatible. The result was
that vets might scan and still miss a chip because the devices they used
would not pick up all chips. That was the situation when I adopted
Holly(RB), so my vet did not recommend chipping her. Fortunately, that
is no longer a problem. In fact, chipping is now considered so
important that the rescue group where I found Selina and Nikki
microchips every cat before they release them for adoption.

I think there was that little blip about 10 years ago when Banfield tried
introducing ISO frequency chips, but fortunately, that was short lived.

Dot and Buster have HomeAgain chips. I don't think that Spicey is chipped
though, come to think of it. Maybe I should get her done.

Spicey was so funny yesterday when she was dashing around a little outside
for the first time, when I let her briefly follow us outside when I was
taking Dot out on her walking jacket.