Old April 27th 04, 06:02 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:44:01 -0500, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Oh absolutely. Like I said in the original post, I don't doubt the
cats are hideously pampered and the owners loved showing them off and
chatting about it, I just think it's quite a barbaric practice to
still be doing in this so-called civilised world.

Why do you feel that it is barbaric?

The whole idea of 'showing' cats just seems pretty pointless to me.
Like I said, all animals are beautiful, you can't say one is more
superior to any other. Breeding cats to have certain traits for the
sake of appearance or breeders' egos or whatever reason they do it,
shouldn't be rewarded IMO. And trapping them in cages just so they can
be shown off doesn't sound like a very humane thing to do, yes they
tolerate it (some more than others) but whose benefit is a cat show
for? Certainly not a cat's. That aspect I do find barbaric. It's bad
enough trapping them to take them to the vet, but at least that's an
absolute necessity, not a pastime.

It reminds me of the pompous aristocrats of the 19th century who
prized their mutant cross-breed cattle to the point they had portraits
done of them which hanged on the walls of their stately homes
alongside the oil paintings of Great Great Uncle Farquarstonehaugh.
Two hundred years on and we're still patting each other on the back
for breeding animals.