Old March 17th 16, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Head Count, Please!

I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.

It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
really can't keep up!

I'll start. I am owned by Buffy.

She's really an amazing cat. Before I adopted her she was described as
"timid". Indeed, she was being bullied by another cat (Frankie) in her
household. It's no wonder she was always thought of as timid.

In fact, when I went to meet her she was hunkered down on a chair under
the dining room table. The woman who met me at the house (her owner
died) had to lock Frankie in the sunroom. Even then Buffy wouldn't come
out. It took a bowl of gooshy food to entice her to come out (right
into the Sherpa carrier! Gotcha!)

I didn't see a single toy in her old home. No cat trees or anything,
either.

Well, I got her home and she was shy at first. She immediately went
under the bed. I left her alone for the most part, just talked to her
soothingly when I walked in the room. After a few hours I looked under
the bed but she wasn't there.

I found her on a chair under the dining room table. Buffy, you don't
have to hide anymore!

It didn't take her long to realize hey, that other cat isn't here! And
oh look, are these toys?! Yep.

It only took her a couple of days to come out of her shell and realize
she has the run of the house.

The only rooms she doesn't seem to be interested in are the kitchen
(perhaps because she has no business being around hot pots and pans so I
don't encourage it; that's also not where she is fed) and the guest
bedroom. I've no idea why she wouldn't like the guest bedroom. There's
a nice comfy bed in there.

Anyway, I am owned by one cat named Buffy.

Please refresh my memory about your furbabies.

Jill