Old March 29th 16, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Head Count, Please!

Je?us wrote:

First we have Annie, she will be 14 this year. I got her at approx. 9
months of age from the RSPCA.

I didn't know the RSPCA was in Australia. Unless you adopted her in the
UK - are you a British transplant?

She was quite timid in many ways, in recent years she has relaxed a
LOT and is far more laid back now than I ever thought she would be.
My guess is she is part Siamese. She is not vocal all the time, but
when she does say something there is no doubt about what she is trying
to communicate. She is quite skilled at communicating, I don't know
where she picked that up from.

My cat Licky (short for Licorice) is a bit like that. I doubt he's part
Siamese - he's a mostly-black tuxedo. He does have a kink at the end of his
tail, though, which I've heard people say is a sign of having some Siamese
genes. He's also extremely vocal, as in VERY LOUD. And persistent. When
I'm in the kitchen at night, he sits in the "kitty treats" area and begs
for treats - meowing loudly, frequently and for a long time. Did I mention
that I live in an apartment building? After a certain hour, I worry that
he's going to keep the neighbors up. (No complaints as yet!)

He's also pretty skittish and always has been. I don't think he suffered
a trauma, though - I think he was just a feral kitten who was socialized
a little too late to be thorougly acclimated to humans. I've had him for
13 years (since he was 3 months old), and he still runs away when I try to
pet him outside of one of the officially sanctioned "safe petting zones."
He still randomly hisses at me from time to time, although he has never
scratched or bitten me. He's a bit like Tina's Boyfie, in that he doesn't
lash out when scared. He prefers flight over fight.

Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
more needy and more vocal. He might be bored and lonely at home when I'm
at work. He and Roxy weren't cuddle buddies, but they got along OK, and
now he's alone for many hours of the day. So when I get home, I'm
bombarded by loud meowing, and I'm not sure whether he wants food, treats,
or cuddling. Usually he gets cuddling first, and that's when he does the
other thing he can do very loudly: purr. This cat could probably win some
purring contests.

Annie and Lucy have a strange relationship at times. Lucy loves to
torment Annie by ambushing her. Physically it's no contest between
Annie and Lucy, Lucy is far bigger and stronger. Despite this Annie is
the boss of the house and always has free reign at the food bowl. Lucy
will always stand back and wait until Annie has had her fill and walks
away.

Heh, this is kind of how it was between Roxy and Licky. Licky's a strapping
male, and Roxy, especially as she got older and then got sick, was smaller
and smaller. At 6 pounds (approx 2.7 kg) she could still shoo him away from
prime sleeping spots just by glaring at him.

--
Joyce

"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene