Old February 24th 12, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default (OT) Doctors Who Rip You Off

Lesley wrote:

Over here you have to be referred to an ophthalmologist they are
doctors who deal with eye conditions- regular routine stuff like eye
tests, glasses, contact lenses etc are the preserve of an optician-
some of whom are optometrists. I would go to them for that stuff and
they might refer me on but for eyesight problems that's where us in
the UK go. The one big disadvantage is they're not usually part of
the NHS so you have to pay for eye tests etc unless you are on
benefits in which eye tests are free

The NHS doesn't include vision care?? How about dentists?

It's so weird how medical specialties are all broken up into these
different categories, requiring different coverage. It's the same thing
here. At work we have 3 different health insurance plans: medical, dental
and vision. They are completely separate - different companies, different
rules and procedures, etc. But why? They're all part of health care, so
why don't they all come under one plan?

I know, it's historical. "That's just how it came about," and now we're
stuck with it. And I have little hope that the health care reform is
going to simplify things in that regard. (The document describing that
plan would qualify as a bench press weight!)

On the other hand, I recently found out that, starting last August (the
beginning of a new "plan year"), that my benefits got a little *better*.
That surprised me! I've been assuming that since I work for a tech
company and I get a cushy health plan, that I would probably lose a bit
of coverage so that people who now have nothing could have something. I
was certainly willing to go along with that, so this was a pleasant
surprise.

--
Joyce

Anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life of any living
creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of
worthless human lives. -- Albert Schweitzer