Old July 13th 04, 04:33 PM
Rick Vigorous

Default fast, shallow breathing

I have a 4 1/2 month old female kitten that's been with me for six weeks.
Aside from coming home with a tapeworm, which has now been eliminated, she
seems the picture of health. Enormous appetite, weed-like growth, and
possessed of astonishing energy and strength (she'll jump 5 feet straight
up to grab things out of my hand).

The only thing that concerns me is that she breathes more rapidly and
shallowly than my other two cats. When running around or otherwise active,
she breathes about 60 - 70 times per minute, sometimes even panting
briefly. When my other two cats sleep, they breathe so slowly that
sometimes I've occasionaly awakened them to make sure they're still alive.
With the kitten, her sleep-breathing is still fast and shallow.

She doesn't cough, wheeze, or vomit, and shows no signs of breathing
distress. She's very active, and will romp around for hours without
stopping.

Is this, rapid shallow breathing cause for concern?