Old April 4th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default LETTING THE CAT OUT

"Geni" wrote

Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

It is useful for some environs. If living truely rural (well away from any
roads etc) it may be a bit more than needed, but in a city, it may be all
that is ever safe.

I grew up i small town farm area where the norm was with a few chickens, a
few cats in the barn, and a few cows. A dog or so at the level of the cows
and the cats took to the loft with the hay and grain.

Some here do not have that same background or situation and may never have.
For me now, all cats are indoor but I live in the city with too many big
streets too close. If I lived well in the country, I'd let'em sun outside.