Old January 26th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Questions About Black Cats, Genetics and Feral Cats

"mc" wrote
The live trapping was predictable... the cat was really fearful. He/
she came around the second or third day on quarantine. The second day
the cat was still hissing at me so I fed and watered him/her, but did
not attempt to pet the kitty. On the third day we got to know one
another and I was surprised that he/she was so receptive to attention!
WOW! The cat is rolling all over the place and loving the petting and
love!

Wow, indeed. That must have been a great moment, when he learned
he does not need to fear you and can come to you for affection.

At this time I am allowing the cat outside of the cage under
supervision - meaning whenever I am out working the cat is out, too.
He/she hovers around the cage, shyly... but I think I will keep
encouraging him/her to get as comfortable inside the cage as outside
the cage. And I know... this is a cat that has fended for itself for a
very long time... lol

That doesn't mean he eveh should have had to, or that he will always
be successful, I think, is your concern.

[...]

Can anyone tell me (or help) if a feral cat can ever make a good house
pet? I am beginning to strongly suspect that at some point in time
this cat has had some experience with humans and is not truly feral.

He's not feral. Really he's not. A truly feral cat would never have been
accepting and even inviting petting after three days. I think you're right.
He was likely just abandoned.

I am sure you will want to take him in and have him checked by the vet,
to be sure he is neutered, determine gender, get him his shots. I believe
any cat can be an indoor cat. As long as you have a house that will contain
them, and the will to create a stimulating, welcoming environment for them.

Good luck. You're a good egg.