Old April 4th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Experiences with Xylitol (sugar substitute)?

On 2006-04-03, Karen penned:
I absolutely can't due sugar substitutes. Never have been able to.
Splenda maaaaybe in tiny amounts. And if what we were emailing about
is a problem for you, I've read and read that sugar substitutes are
WAY up on the list of offenders. I wouldn't do it.

Well, the reason I'm looking at it is because it's not artificial --
it's sugar made from other plants, like corn and raspberries. It's
called sugar alcohol, I think. It also supposedly reduces cavities
quite a bit. I could use all the help I can get in that dept.

I also can't stand artificial sweeteners. Splenda grosses me out.
Nutrasweet? Forget it.

I don't know anything about Xylitol except that it's in gum and mints you
can get over here in Asia. I've never had a problem with it in that
respect.
But have you tried Stevia? It's also a natural sweetener made from a
herb.
It is much sweeter than any of the other sweeteners and you only need to
use
a tiny bit. Not sure if you can bake with it though.

I recall seeing recipes using stevia for cooking and baking. I have never
tried it
though.

Winnie
--