Old October 19th 16, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Dataw's Feral Cats are Fine

jmcquown wrote:

One idiotic woman wrote in reply to my post how they should stop
neutering the cats because it makes the marsh rat population increase.
Uh, what? How does a feral cat not having testicles relate to an
increase in the marsh rat population? (Maybe someone should be
neutering the rats.) The cats still hunt for food. I didn't understand
the correlation. Is she a proponent of letting the cat population
explode? Apparently.
Lady, if you have a problem with marsh rats, call an exterminator. Do
NOT tell people not to spay/neuter the feral cats. One does not have
anything to do with the other.

I don't agree with her suggestion, since in general feral cat populations
are barely under control. If it is well-controlled in your area, then
whatever you're doing there, it's working, so don't tamper with it!

But there is a correlation. The more cats there are, the more hunters
there are, and the more rats will be caught and killed. One cause when
a prey species (for example, deer) explodes is the absence, or small
number of predators. So I think that's what this woman had in mind. It's
not about cats requiring testicles (or ovaries!) to hunt, it's about
the relative sizes of the populations of predators and prey.

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?