Old September 12th 07, 01:58 PM posted to alt.native,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
_G O D_

Default Questions About Dogs & Cats

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:58:02 -0000, oldwifetale
wrote:

On Sep 11, 8:22 am, (_G O D_) wrote:
Sorry to bother you, but I couldn't find anything on the web.

1) Do male wolves, foxes, hyenas, coyotes, jackals, dingoes, and
African wild dogs lift their rear leg when taking a leak, or is this
practice limited to domesticated dogs?

2) Other than the domesticated house cat, do other cats try to cover
up their poop deposits?

Hello GOD (aka brojack)...

????

Shouldn't you know the answers to ALL of life's little *mysteries*?

One site said that dogs mark their territory by urination and the
scent will be more pronounced the higher that it's away from the
ground. Also, a higher marking suggests that it was made by a bigger
dog. That's why we see little dogs really trying to elevate their
emissions.

Another site said that both male and lady wolves lift their legs.
Huh??!!? No further explanation was provided.

Nothing found on this subject regarding other members of the dog
family.

My cat doesn't even attempt to cover his "poop deposits"
I think he is proud of them, and enjoys my reaction.

("OMG!!!! Who let the elephant get in the litter box????")

We do not refer to him as a "domesticated house cat"... as it is very
obvious that he is ticking off the days of his 'captivity', and is
only sticking around for the occasional bite of pickle-loaf - to which
he has developed a slightly unhealthy addiction, imo.

As for these other creatures, they will have to speak for themselves.

Amen

The cat's mother disappeared before showing her kittens proper cat
decorum, e.g., covering poopy and retracting claws.