Old January 4th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default Istanbul cats

Jack - did you take any PICTURES??
Nope. I don't have a digital camera (they just don't work for the
sort of pictures I take, too slow to operate); quality film and
processing is too hard to find in Turkey; and the current climate of
official paranoia means any film I shot could be vandalized by x-ray-
wielding "security" thugs. So I've given up travel photography

That's a shame! What if you mailed rolls of film to your home (or to a
friend's home) in Scotland, and got them developed once you got back?

They can x-ray mailed stuff too, probably with the same machinery used
for checked baggage (i.e. goodbye to any usable image).

I'm curious about the slowness of digital cameras. I've noticed that
some people get incredibly exact photos, with no blurring whatsoever,
of moving objects using a digital camera.

I didn't mean shutter speed, I meant the delay between wanting to
take a picture and getting one. The triggering delay on digital
compacts makes taking fast candid shots, whether of people or cats,
completely impossible, and it takes an eternity of fiddling with
itsy-bitsy buttons to get the sort of control I can get in seconds
with my 1938 Leica or 1960ish Minolta TLR. Very expensive digital
SLRs supposedly get round these problems but I don't have that sort
of money.