Old January 5th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

Default Istanbul cats

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 00:47:00 -0600, William Hamblen
yodeled:

On 2007-01-04, Gandalf wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:50:25 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

Just back from ten days in Istanbul, which is near to being the cat
capital of the planet. I've been visiting Turkey for 25 years. When
I first went, there were many cats in very poor condition: matted fur,
obvious flea infestation, sometimes malnourished. Over the last few
years they've improved enormously. Some random portraits:

SNIP

Sounds like a very fun trip!

However, seeing so many homeless cats, even if they are relatively
healthy, would make me very, very sad.

They may lead a relatively decent life (enough food, etc.) but you know
they don't have a human to love and spoil them.

And I doubt they get any vet care, so their lives will not be very long
:-(

It sounds like *somebody* may be doing something to control their
numbers. Sadly, I doubt it's trap neuter and release....

Istanbul is, unfortunately, a city in the third world, despite it's
having been the capital of both the Byzantine *and* Ottoman Empires,
IIRC.

Fun fact: Istanbul has had 3 names: the current name, Istanbul.

Before that, it was called Constantinople, after the conquering (sp?)
Emperor Constantine.

Before that, it was called Byzantium. Sorry, I don't know the dates.

Somebody has to do it:

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Istanbul (Istanbul)
Istanbul (Istanbul)

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works
That's nobody's business but the Turks

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Istanbul

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!!!!!! EARWORM!!!!!!!!

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War