Old June 3rd 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Hinson[_2_]

Default Spaying incision length

I didn't realize that there would be a variety of techniques of what
I had perceived to be a rather straight-forward procedure.

I merely assumed it would be as simple as my first 2 went through.

I wish I had known enough to inquire.

I still have her 5 kittens to be de-sexed: I will definately do better
by them.

Thanks.

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 00:55:35 GMT, Netmask
wrote:

John Hinson wrote:
Hello,

I had Daisy spayed today; I was shocked at the length ot the incision
(about 4 inches) and now wonder about the credentials of the vet.

I'm really upset about this and blame myself for maybe not asking
enough questions about the surgery beforehand.

When I adopted my first 2 cats the SPCA spayed them before I took them
home. Their incisions were only about an inch long and I didn't have
to take them back to have stitches removed.

Are there different surgical techniques that explain the disparity?

Thanks.

50 to 100mm seems to be the normal range and yes there are different
techniques employed just as in human surgery. If you have any
preferences you should ask about the technique employed.

Asking "what is the best?" is a meaningless question as there will be
dozens of answers depending on ones perspective.

Regardless whether internal or external suturing or a combination of
both have been employed one should always return the cat for inspection
a week to 10 days post operation to check for inflammation and possible
infections. Not sure of the system in the USA but in Australia there is
normally no charge for the post operation inspection and is expected.

Some veterinary surgeons are now doing keyhole surgery which results in
much smaller wound sites and quicker recovery time and in most cases
lessens the possibility of post operative infections.

It pays to write out a list of questions before hand just as you would
for yourself imo