Old November 23rd 05, 01:39 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Heat reflecting pads

"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...

"Ajanta" wrote in message
Phil P. wrote:

: I don't think you should use any type of cloth material if you won't
: be around to change it if it gets wet...

My original thought was to (1) Use a patio chair and cushion from the
summer (the cushion material does not seem to be cloth; she is also
familiar with these, having used them in the summer). (2) To add a
layer of heat reflecting blanket, something like

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...atid=8982&N=20
02+113876

However, from warmth point of view, it is probably better to have an
enclosed cardboard box and line up all walls with the inexpensive space
blanket you mention below? I could use styrofoam boards for insulation.

Here's a very simple, but effective winter shelter similar to your idea:

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

Straw or hay is much better than a blanket because they dry much more
quickly.

Plus, it's the "layered" effect you're looking for - just like they advise
people to wear layered clothes in severe weather. Straw or hay (or, OP,
fall leaves) trap miltiple pockets of air that act as insulation. A cat can
burrow down into it and be surrounded by that insulation to keep his/her
body heat trapped in with him/her.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Please remember there will be no wind or precipitation in this room,
but the temperature may be what it is outdoors.

I understand the shelter will be indoors. However, if she's wet when she
comes in she'll dampen the padding. Damp padding will draw body heat out

of
her. The only cloth material that *might* work is a waterproof down ski
jacket.

Too bad there is no
functioning electric outlet, so she will have to go to elsewhere for
water. This arrangement is only for two weeks. I am not contemplating a
permanent shelter. My long term goal still is to install cat doors and
give her access to heated spaces.

Finally, I have no way to know if she needs or will use this device.
For all I know, she may already have a warm spot next to some water
heater. But being unsure I want to give her to an option. Only time
will tell if she used it.

If she's been around for more than a week, I'd bet she knows every single
nook and cranny in the neighborhood. Still, you still might have to show
her where it is because she might not know you put a bed in the room.

: Your best bet would be Space Blankets- they're very thin mylar sheets

and
: reflect
: about 80% of the cat's body heat back to the cat. Space blankets are

54" x
: 84" and cost about
: $2-$3 each and come in small packages:
:
: http://www.maxshouse.com/misc/spaceblankets.JPG
:
: http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/jade_in_space.JPG

Incredible, my cat looks just like this. Well, so do many others. :-)
What is this breed/type?

She's a DSH- Classic Tabby. Here's a better shot with her eyes open:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/Jade-11-16-04--4a.jpg

and when she was younger:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/Jade-o-mine-climb.jpg

Three individuals have referred to her "maine
coon", "siamese" and "tabby". But none of them have their own cats and
I am not sure how much they know.

: You can cover a piece of 2" insulation with the space blanket and

cover
the
: space blanket with straw or hay- cats love to burrow into straw. The

most
: important things are to keep the shelter dry and off the ground.

Would Fall leaves be a good substitute for hay/straw? Otherwise I can
try to find out where to get the latter (not in my usual stores). Bags
full of raked Fall leaves are available everywhere right now.

I don't think leaves would work very well. I'm sure you've seen how long
leaves take to dry- and that's outdoors where wind speeds the drying
process. If the room isn't heated, there's also a chance the wet leaves
will freeze making the shelter or bed even colder and she'll never use it
again.

If I place the box on a layer of standard bricks, would that raise it
enough?

Short 2x4s would be better since they wouldn't hold or transfer as much
cold. If you use a piece of 2" insulation on the bottom of the shelter,
bricks would work fine. Whatever you use, make sure it doesn't wobble.

: You can make a warm and comfy bed for her out of a low rubbermaid

storage
: bin. A low bin will retain a lot more body heat. The space blankets

are
: large, so, you can line the inside of the bin to reflect even more

heat.

This arrangement is only for two weeks. I am not contemplating a
permanent shelter. My long term goal still is to install cat doors and
give her access to heated spaces.

That would be ideal. For a short-term shelter in the meantime, the one

I'm
describing shouldn't cost more than $10 and take about 30 minutes to make.

Again, she sure is one lucky cat!

Best of luck,

Phil