Old December 17th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default Help! My kitten is limping

on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:01:12 GMT, dgk wrote:

Deciding whether to go to the emergency vet is often a difficult
decision. Several times I've wondered whether to take a cat to the
emergency vet, which is some distance away. I usually error on the
side of going to the emergency vet, but money isn't a major problem
for me. It is for others.

IME, if you're even questioning whether a trip to the emergency vet is
neccessary, then it is usually neccessary. I do realize that money is a
problem for many people, but when people with tight budgets take on pets
they need to set money aside for emergencies. It's common sense. Anyone
who pays for cable tv and the like and then complains they have no money
gets no sympathy from me. Today's so-called neccessities are actually
luxuries. There are almost ALWAYS ways to cut back and save. If someone
is truly poor, they shouldn't take on pets.

For a cat that is limping, I don't think they even set a broken toe.
But it is likely infected and needs antibiotics so I'd go in this
case.

Absolutely.

Still, with so many people who won't complicate their lives to take
even one cat, venom towards those who do seems a bit misplaced. I'm
quite sure the OP feels terribly about stepping on the kitty and will
try to be more careful. Let he/she who has never stepped on their
kitty cast the first hairball.

I agree that it was an accident, and it could happen to most anyone. No
matter the cause of the kitten's problem, however, proper vet care simply
isn't an option. Even on the weekend.

--
Lynne