Old December 17th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Help! My kitten is limping

"Just Me" wrote in message
k.net...
I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when
it's
harder to get care for an animal or even human.

Kitty has been limping and licking/ favoring his left paw. When I try to
gently feel around it he whinces like he's in pain. This is same kitty I
wrote about here who has feline leukemia. He seems to be doing good in
that
regard, i.e. feisty, eating, etc. I did notice that the toe at the end of
his paw seems to be pulled away from rest of paw. Is that normal? Anyone
know what this might be.

I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he
didn't
appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.

Do you have any emergency vets in your area, or vets that have a rotating
emergency service? If so, try one of them. I can't tell exactly what you
are describing with regard to the toe, but I would be concerned about a
possible abscess. The incident when you accidentally stepped on your cat
could have caused an injury, and the extent may not have been obvious then.
Cats are also notorious for hiding pain, so the fact that your cat is now
obviously in pain should be cause for concern (which, I realize, is exactly
why you wrote).

Some of the responses to your query are ludicrous. I absolutely adore my
two furbabies, but I have accidentally stepped on toes or tails. I am
horrified when it happens, but I also know that none of us can be completely
aware of exactly where our cats are at all times. And the suggestion that
failure to turn on the light at night is somehow negligent is ridiculous.
Ignore it!

MaryL