Old May 27th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Pre-pregnant? I think I'm gonna pre-puke

On 2006-05-27 00:49:35 -0500, "Monique Y. Mudama"

said:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...5/AR2006051500
875_pf.html

am *not* pre-pregnant. I am human. If I'm going to worry about
alcohol consumption, proper weight, and vitamins, it will be because
of *my* health, not some hypothetical baby. It's insulting. It's
demeaning. As a blog I found somewhere said, reading this makes me
want to down 20 shots of tequila and throw myself down the stairs.

I am not a baby factory. I am on birth control for a reason. Even if
I weren't, I would still find this kind of patronizing, "We know what
you want better than you do and don't trust you to figure out the
right end of a condom" bull**** infuriating.

Here's a quote from the WP article:

"We know that women -- unless you're actively planning [a pregnancy],
. . . she doesn't want to talk about it," Biermann said. So clinicians
must find a "way to do this and not scare women," by promoting
preconception care as part of standard women's health care, she said.

Now, that is scary. They're advocating that physicians not make the
distinction between treatments that are good for a woman and ones that
might be good for a hypothetical fetus.

*kicks Bush administration in the nads, hard*

This one really scares me, although apparently it's ongoing and only
tangentially related to the article ... a woman claims she can't get
access to the majority of epilepsy medications because she's female
and therefore potentially could get pregnant, even though she is
asking desperately to try different meds:

http://shadesong.livejournal.com/2871261.html

What an odd moment for me. In the past week, the wives of two of my
male friends gave birth. Certainly healthy babies are on my mind.
But don't call me pre-pregnant. What a crock.

I do find one poster's suggestion (somewhere; I've been googling
around and don't remember all the places I went) that all men should
be advised to start a "pre-child support" account amusing.

Oh for God's sake. Why don't you just wrap us up in tissue paper and
not allow us to do anything "workplace hazards" "cat feces". So, the
bottom line is impose as many limitations as possible on any woman
because she MIGHT at SOME POINT get pregnant. This is SOOOOO incredibly
Big Brother I can barely keep from throwing up.

I'm with you on that one, Karen. People have been having children for at
least 8,000 years. Was a government involved then? Was there even a
government? Please...........

kili