Old July 8th 04, 12:39 AM
Cat Protector

How can you simply bet a cat's life on this. You may not think much of your
life but I don't think cats should be made to suffer because you insist on
putting their lives at risk. They put expiration dates on cans for a reason
but this seems to be lost on you.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
om...
Most certainly - Since I have examined and tested canned foods that
are many many years past the expiration date I know whereof I speak.
Some years ago, (I won't bother to admit it has been multiple decades)
I was fed C-rations by the US Government that had been packaged over
20 years earlier in canned form. They tasted horrible - but they were
perfectly safe. My bet is they tasted horrible the day they were
canned so nothing much had really changed.

I have reviewed analyticals on canned foods that were over a decade
old, well beyond any expiration date. The nutrient values remained
within 10% of the original canning product. I have access to a
"library" of canned products going back to the early 50's. Unless the
seal is broken and some bacteria gets into the can, something you will
note in a "bulged" can lid and likely smell immediately when you open
it, the chance of any harm at all is extremely remote.