Old January 27th 12, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Patok

Default kindle

CatNipped wrote:
On 1/26/2012 9:43 PM, wrote:

Yeah, I could do that, but I think next time I'll try removing *all* the
references when starting a new thread from an old one. As you said, that
should work.

It wouldn't work if you are doing a "reply", not matter what you remove
- even if you remove the entire body of the post. I don't know if
you'll see it, but I'll show you in a sec when I reply to you again.

In your case (or mine) it won't work, because we don't have so much
control. But she's using tin, which *can* remove the extraneous headers.
She understood perfectly.

Your "new thread" message was still threaded, because you were using
a program (Thunderbird) that does not display the entire enchilada of
options. You were not given the opportunity of removing those headers
that must be removed in order to start a new thread.

To summarize:
- if one is using a M$ product (Live mail, Outlook) one (apparently)
sees a new thread when the subject text changes, and (apparently)
perceives it as the same thread if the subject remains the same, no
matter if created as a new message. (I write "apparently" because I've
never used a M$ product for mail or news, and simply don't know.)
- if one is using another product, one sees the same thread only if the
message was produced by replying to a previous message in the thread,
and the "references" header of the message were not removed.

Recap: guaranteed to create a new thread from an existing one:
- create a *new* message
- type a *different* subject line
- paste any text you want to reply to, into that message as quotation
(if the program allows)
That way it will become a different thread according both to M$ and
to other readers.