Old July 16th 04, 06:32 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Mary" wrote in message
.com...

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

snipped

Maybe I'm missing something, but how come Tapazole (Vs. surgery) can't

be
started now for your cat?

It is my impression that the surgery produces better results. I asked my

vet
the question, "if it were your cat what would you do?" and he said his cat
had hyperthyroidism and he did the surgery and she was just fine.

Is it your opinion (and others please chime in) that the tapazole would be
better to try first, instead of going right in for the surgery? (This is
assuming her blood work comes back NOT showing impaired liver function,

and
of course the surgery would only happen if her heart ultrasound comes back
showing a healthy heart.)

Yes, definitely, trying the Tapazole first, IMO (assuming no liver
prob)! It's non-invasive, compared w/ major surgery. Also, once the
surgery is done, that's that. If her thyroid levels are initially still not
on target - which is common for both animals & people, then the medication
can be adjusted one way or the other by small increments.

The only timess I'd consider the surgery over the medication would involve
the sort of scenario Debbie had, or if the cat was incredibly difficult to
pill & after trying for a while, it was continuing to be a major battle each
day to get the medication into her/him.

Cathy

I want to give her the best possible chance at a long and healthy life. We
could do the radiation but I would want to be there the whole time--I'm

very
wary of strange vets.