Old July 3rd 03, 05:44 PM
Karen M.

"P.D." wrote in message .net...
I tried to train my cats, and they are just stubborn, they won't scratch the
furniture when I am home, but when I go out they do. I make a big issue
over it because it destroys my stuff and make my home look like a slum.

I can't understand why people make such a big issue over cats and
scratching... why get a cat in the first place if you aren't prepared to
train it properly!

P.D.,

I think you may be looking for a solution to the wrong problem - you
said the cats scratch when you go out. Is it possible they are
scratching out of displeasure for your leaving? Are you gone a lot?
Are they getting enough physical and mental stimulation when you are
home? Perhaps 20-30 minutes of hard play time before you leave would
tire them out and make them more inclined to sleep than scratch. Also,
there's something call "Feliway", a synthetic cat pheromone which
helps calm cats down. It could be they experience anxiety when you
leave and that is why they are scratching.

My cats (all taught this by my matriarch cat, Audrey) scratch on
furniture and rugs to show displeasure or gain attention. Total
negative attention getting!
And it works everytime, because I of course make a beeline for
whatever cat is doing it. Smart little suckers. Anyway, some food for
thought. I've never used Smart Paws myself, so I can't comment on
that. Personally, if you can nip the inappropriate scratching in the
bud, I think that would be the best way to go. Good luck!

Karen