Old July 17th 03, 04:59 PM
Joe Canuck

Kuisse0002 wrote:
My husband loves cats more than I do and is very frustrated at our at ours at
the moment. Our cat is very skittish and two incidents that took place recently
made her really upset and most unforgiving with my husband.

The first one took place two months ago.Hubby put on thick gloves to pick her
up and hold her &held her up very tightly so that she won't bite or stuggle. I
was supposed to put her collar on but I screamed at him I couldn't and he
loudly told me to get on with it, etc - all in front of the cat - in the end
the collar didn't go in and he released/flung the cat out disgusted at me. The
cats alright but was not too crazy about him after this. But the cat was still
affectionate to him.

Then a couple of weeks ago, when my husband had to feed the cat, called her in
and helped open the flap for her. He had an severly cut hand which was injured
earlier. One hand held the food and the injured hand opened the flap- it was a
very stormy, rainy & windy day also - the pain of the finger and the wind
together made the flap slip off his hand and the flap sorta flapped back onto
cat's face. The cat was NOT happy!. (it was literally a slap on the face for
the cat!!!)

Ever since then, at the sight of my husband the cat would run off and away as
fast and far and as possible. My husband is most upset about this - he tried
to call her, pet her, etc but she would only cower away from him. The only time
husband can have any contact with cat is when I hold her, or I sit wth her, or
when I'm around next to her preventing her from running off.

Please help. It is not a happy household at the moment. How do i make the cat
gain back his trust and vice versa. I feel like I should be writing to Dr Phil
about this !

Kick husband out, keep cat. :-) Not a solution I know.

In a nutshell... husband needs to be a little more gentle, tolerant and
careful around the cat.

It will take time to build up any trust again... the cat may not be
willing to take any more chances so it will require some work on your
husbands part.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck