Old July 17th 03, 04:40 PM

Bill wrote:
I've found a good time to do this sort of thing is when the cat is sound
asleep. It usually takes them a few seconds to fully wake up and realize

I dunno, it depends on the kitty. My little timid kitty almost always
wakes up instantly if you touch her. She barely ever goes to sleep deep
enough to hear you trying to sneak up on her.

On the other hand, the vet is a very good idea (my cat was so frozen still
in fear she didn't protest the collar at all).

Also, if hte cat has a problem getting picked up or held (like mine). You
might want to work slowly on this (get her trust to pet her first). At
first just put your hands around her chest, as if you were going to pick
her up. Get her used to just that. Then maybe start lifting up a little
(til she looks uncomfortable but not enough to actually make her run).
Then maybe you can start picking her up a foot or two... keep incrementing
like this and maybe one day you'll be able to pick her up. It's taken me
a year or two to get my cat to the point I can walk some feet with her
(and she still gets very squirmy, but not bad enough I have to drop her,
she used to squirm so badly that I'd either have to hurt her to keep her
or just let her go). So don't expect this to be a fast process. But at
least you might get it to a point it's easier to do stuff (I can even clip
some of her claws now because she's not quite as frightened at being held
and prevented from leaving my lap or as frightened as me picking her up
and putting her in my lap).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.