Old November 17th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Reunited with feline family (at LAST!)

jmcquown wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Well, at least I have my babies with me again, and they seem
to be adjusting well, so far. (But we wouldn't refuse a few
purrs.) It's really a nice apartment, part of a complex of
1200 units, with swimming pools and exercise rooms, a
recreation building, and various community activities. I
expect we'll be happy here, but I'll be lucky if I have
things in order by Christmas, never mind Thanksgiving!

Evelyn

I'm so glad your babies are with you again at last!

I do have to say, though, I wouldn't consider that a "nice" apartment. Oh,
I'm sure the apartment itself is nice. But what sort of management company
hasn't removed the DEAD roaches before move-in day? And not check to make
sure there aren't any more around? Or without first making sure the
plumbing was working correctly and the resultant water damage from a leak
had been repaired?

Well, they admitted dropping the ball, and were most
apologetic, when they discovered it had not been done.
Although they have a full-time maintenance staff, some
things (like handicapped grab-bars for the tub) have to be
approved by the corporate office (they own a number of large
complexes, all over the U.S.). Also, I'm not sure how well
the supervisory personnel speak Spanish, and most of the
maintenance workers don't seem to have much English. I was
rather under the gun, because I used a California mover who
does very good work, so is much in demand and booked up well
in advance. Consequently I relied upon my brother and his
girlfriend to scope places out, had to select a move-in date
before I even had an apartment, then tell the "rental
coordinator" that the November 9th move-in date was set in
stone, when she tried to tell me it would be ready November
12th! (Otherwise, it might have been more than a month
before they could schedule the trip to Arizona.)
Consequently, I had my "walk-through" ten minutes after the
cleaning staff had left, and as the movers were unloading
their truck. (True, I hadn't signed the lease until then,
but what recourse had I?)

Every apartment I've lived in, the manager and I did a "walk through" before
move-in day. I had to sign off on everything, from making sure the faucets
worked (without leaking), the toilets flushed, the shower functioned, check
the appliances for functionality and of course, make sure there aren't any
bugs.

Yeah, I usually saw my rental residences long before I moved
in, too, but circumstances were a bit different this time,
with moving out of state, and arbitrary deadlines.

I guess they just do things differently in California.

Arizona, actually - SFAIK, California does such things
normally. (I've never had to pay pet rent anywehere but
Arizona, either!)