Old December 22nd 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

Default The stigma of owning a cat.

On 20 Dec, 08:46, "David McCracken"
wrote:
Hi everyone:

I haven't posted in this forum in a long while, but have always found it
full of great people with much knowledge and love for cats. *So I
immediately thought of this newsgroup when I wanted to share this
perspective about cat ownership.

You are far from alone when we had to have Fugazi put to sleep I had
to go to work the next day but my then boss, a slave himself couldn't
have been nicer- he sent me home early, covered me when I needed to go
and cry, placed the phone at my disposal should I wish to call home
and check on Dave and my other cat and repeatedly told me that if we
weren't short staffed he wouldn't have expected me to come in and he
would have told the management it was "compassionate leave"

He got a fair bit of stick when the managers found out through..One of
them said to "How old was she?" (I think he was trying to be nice) and
I said she was twelve, (as if it made a difference) his reply was "Is
that old for one of them?" As I say I guess he was trying to be nice
because he then followed it up with "I really don't know anything
about cats"

His boss was all for putting my boss and me on a disciplinary over it
since he didn't regard being upset over "a mere cat" (his words) just
cause to expect me to do less work for one day and get away with it
(as he saw it). Fortunately we were both very good at our jobs and
each made it perfectly clear we would walk out in support of the other
so he let the matter drop

the all-time winner through is my mother, when I told her Isis had
died she shrugged and said "I suppose you get fond of the things"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs