Old October 27th 05, 04:07 PM

Default Teeth falling out normal? Cat is 13.

Hi all.

My cat George has lost a tooth. He was meowing into my wife's face,
and she noticed that his usual Four Big Teeth smile was down to three.

My wife took George to our family vet, who gave George his shots (he
was due) and pronounced his teeth okay. The vet gave no explanation
why his tooth had come out. George is an indoor cat, and other than
fighting with the other two cats (George is the biggest and the only
male) nothing should have happened to him.

I made an appointment for George at our local university clinic. They
are planning to anesthetize him and carefully examine his teeth. The
family vet wasn't able to get a good look at George's mouth, even with
the help of an assistant, because he kept squirming.

This doctor visit will cost about $250, and my wife and son think it
will be money wasted. It has caused a controversy in our family.

Have you-all had experience with older cats losing teeth? Is it in
fact just "something that happens" and not worth concern? George is
thirteen, healthy, and is slowing down just a touch as he ages. (He no
longer rushes the door quite so enthusiastically to get out.)

War stories regarding older cats' teeth are welcomed.

Regards,

Rick