Old May 25th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cats at Work

wrote:
I agree with you - I think it would be a great idea to socialize
kitties and bad guys at the same time :-) but I'm afraid that that
would be seen as entirely too kind to both criminals and cats.
I've seen a couple of shows about prison puppy programs and I think
they look terrific. There are some prisons that let cats wander
around inside the walls, but not many.
Barbara, slave to Lovey and brand new baby Yitzak.

I remember sometime, I think it was on Animal Planet's show Emergency Vets,
a cat that was brought in from a prison for a very expensive hernia
operation. Surgery was partly paid for by prison workers and also by
prisoners (they saved their money earned doing their 'jobs' in prison), and
was returned to the prison with notations from the Dr's that he needed to go
on a diet, only *one* person was to feed him from now on, instead of
*everyone* giving him food, as he was getting a bit chubby and was slacking
in his duties as Chief Mouser & Rat Catcher in the prison storerooms. They
even showed some video of him, post surgery, strolling through one of the
storerooms, looking for critters (or greeblings) to pounce, and even talked
to a few of the prisoners that were so glad that he was back!