Old November 30th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Zy

Default Underground radio type fences

"honeybunch" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 3:29 pm, "Zy" wrote:
Recently moved from a rural home to a suburban home about 1 year ago. My 2
cats previously had an indoor-outdoor lifestyle. Ever since the move
they've
both been bored and depressed while living indoors only. One of them (a 5
year old) is now unhealthily bony. So I'd like to enable them to go
outside,
at least while I'm also outside with them. However, they must stay
confined
to the rear yard. When we lived in the rural area, a fence wasn't
necessary
as they never wandered outside the expansive property boundaries, and if
they weren't in close proximity to the house, they would return for dinner
via my loud whistle call.

If any of you have any experience with those buried cable fence systems
(invisible; utilizing an electronic cat collar), please remark. I'd be
willing to obtain a system if it sounds like it could be reliable.

I am wondering why your cats can't go outside now for a little while?
What exactly is the problem if they should wander out of your rear
yard? (Note: I am asking Zy this question. No one else need reply.)

Lots of fast-moving vehicular traffic here (only a mile or so from Trenton,
NJ). And there are some low class neighbors that are cause for worry. I'm
uncertain about the disposition of the adults, but there are several
undisciplined youngsters that should be considered harmful; not just to
animals.

When an "action cat" gets freedom outdoors, it can easily put some distance
between itself and its master. Can't be spending 30-40 minutes chasing down
my cat in my neighbor's yards only several minutes after its let outside.