Old January 18th 14, 07:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Multiple cats, female loses appetite...

"Sylvia M" nsmol dslextreme.com wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote

Might have found an interesting solution to my new calico
female cat losing her appetite. She and my male were playing
well for a while, but he has been getting rough. I haven't been
spending much time with them recently, that might be one
problem. The calico takes a few bites and then walks away from
the food. Really frustrating. One of her kittens was the same
way. A cat I had for a very long time lost her appetite. Also
possibly do to the presence of a male cat. To solve this
calico's problem... I feed them three or four times per day. At
that time, for a few minutes, I lie down next to her food where
she eats. Really obvious, seeing her lookup and around
periodically. She is afraid she's going to get mugged for food,
or something. And it's working, nearly 100%. She's eating much
more. Still need a day or so to be confident in the results,
but it follows the appearance of the thing being worried. I
suppose it could happen with a male cat too, if there was a big
enough tomcat threatening it.

Perhaps feed her in a different location than the male?

It is in a different location. I can spend a few minutes if (so
far) it works this way. Cats come out of nowhere. Someone she
trusts being there is probably what matters. I suspect it's partly
to do with the fact she had to survive outside for years. It's
brutal out there.

I recently saw two identical pedigreed looking cats in the
neighborhood that look like they had been bought from a pet store.
Now they are strays. They make great pets though, having survived
out there for a while.

HTH Sylvia