Old March 26th 11, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Which books did you hate that you still read all the way through? OK, way OT, but fascinating

"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
I've read Herman Melville's "Moby Dick" understood the plot, meaning and
so forth and hated it. Ray Bradbury wrote some of my favorite books,
but
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" is not one of them. Carolyn Hart's
Ghost and Henry O series are not among my favorites, although I'll read
them if desperate. JD Salanger's "Catcher In The Rye" sucked in my
opinion. I hated "Lord Of The Flies" but it was exquisitely written. I
know there are others, but I'm sure that you'll remind me of them with
your replies

Many, many years ago, I took a creative writing course at a community
college. The instructor said, "Ray Bradbury has written everything from
pure trash to exquisite literature." I'm not sure if my choices would
agree
with hers, but I've certainly found that I loved some of his works and
disliked others.

I didn't like "Catcher in the Rye" or "Lord of the Flies" either. I
found
"Catcher" boring.

Joy

Most books that people recommend I dislike but read because I feel
dishonest
if I don't. Is not like you can say, 'I started it, but I hated it,' when
they ask how you liked the book they lent you! LOL!

*R* *H*

Nobody (other than the library) lends me books except my kids. They usually
know what I like, and I can tell them if I don't care for something.
Actually, I remember one book my daughter lent me years ago. It was "That
Fatal Shore", and is about the history of Australia. After I confessed that
I couldn't get past the first chapter, my daughter told me she and her
husband couldn't either, and that I didn't need to return it. Giving up
books, even if I don't like them, is very painful for me, so I still had the
book several years later when I decided to visit Australia. I tried again,
and this time found that this time it did hold my interest, once I got into
it.

Joy