Old March 26th 11, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_3_]

Default Which books did you hate that you still read all the way through? OK, way OT, but fascinating

"Joy" wrote in message
"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote in message

Nobody (other than the library) lends me books except my kids. They
usually know what I like, and I can tell them if I don't care for
something. Actually, I remember one book my daughter lent me years ago.
It was "That Fatal Shore", and is about the history of Australia. After I
confessed that I couldn't get past the first chapter, my daughter told me
she and her husband couldn't either, and that I didn't need to return it.
Giving up books, even if I don't like them, is very painful for me, so I
still had the book several years later when I decided to visit Australia.
I tried again, and this time found that this time it did hold my interest,
once I got into it.

Joy

A friend lent me "That Fatal Shore" years ago, and I enjoyed it.
Hated "Catcher". The main character is such a whiner.
My mom also lends me tons of books, lots of which are Oprah book club type
books, and I read them so I can discuss them with her, but I generally do
not like them either, although they are quite popular. "The Reader" and "The
Time Traveler's Wife" are two such books.

As for "Something Wicked This Way Comes", try the movie. It's one of my
favorites, mainly because Jonathan Pryce is in it.