Old January 11th 04, 03:20 AM
Wendy

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,
enlightened us with...
I've always noticed that my cat's ears smell a little strange. It's not
necessarily a bad strange, but they sort of smell like cookie dough to me.
Is this unusual or do most cats have cookie dough or odd-smelling ears?

The
rest of her face and body smell pretty normal, as far as cats go. Her
breath smells a bit fishy but I'm pretty sure that is normal. She doesn't
have ear mites, as far as I know, and the insides of her ears look pretty
clean. Any ideas as to why the cookie dough smell?

My guess is an infection. Sometimes it's down deep and you don't see
anything unusual.

What's "pretty clean"? My cats' ears are totally clean and pink with no
cleaning from me. The one who had an infection, the ears got a little
dirty, but not terribly so. However, checking his back claws revealed
they were also dirty. This was from him scratching his ears and the wax
got on his claws.

I though our kittens ears were fine (couldn't see any wax) until we had them
to the vet and he pulled out a bunch of black wax containing an ear mite
(that he showed us under the microscope) with a q-tip. Sometimes the stuff
is in there where you can't see it just by looking in the ear.