Old December 14th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default uterine conditions other than pregnancy

"Dave-R" msquigluvr-@{remove_ this]aim.com wrote in message
I have a question to ask concerning my daughter's cat. The cat was
taken to the vet to be spayed, the vet spayed her and said that she
had been pregnant, about one to two weeks gestation. Now there is a
slight problem. My daughter's cat is an indoor cat and she does not
have any other cats in the house. So, as you can see we found it hard
to believe that she was pregnant. She has never strayed outside. We
joked about it and said that it must have been an immaculate
conception. But all jokes aside, we were wondering if there is any
other uterine condition that would mimic a pregnancy or in other words
cause engorgement of the uterine horns of the reproductive tract and
enlarge the blood vessels because this is how the nurse at the vet's
office said that they diagnosed her pregnancy. Now my daughter had
asked the nurse after the surgery if there was any other way that they
could have tested for pregnancy and she said yes, through a blood
test. Now why they didn't do a blood test to make sure is beyond me
because if she was like they said then my daughter would've waited
until after birth of course, assuming that she was.

This is really baffling us, as we know that there is no possible way
that she could've been pregnant. Oh, by the way they charged an extra
$98.00 for the procedure, plus the costs of pain killers and
atibiotics which added a pretty penny to her bill.
Anyway, if anyone knows of any other condition that would mimic a
pregnancy, we would appreciate it if we could here from you.

I don't think your daughter's cat was actually pregnant. The "nurse" was
probably just an assistant cage cleaner.

The only thing that comes to mind is pseudopregnancy- from artificially
induced ovu*lation- but without fertilization. Pseudopregnancy can still
result in the development of corpora lutea.- Pseudopregnancy can last from
40 to about 50 days. The queen doesn't exhibit heat behavior during this
time.

Some people- especially breeders- try to take their cycling queens, that
they don't want to breed, out of heat with a Q-Tip.

Phil